Thursday, September 06, 2007

First day of school

Yesterday was the 1st day of kindergarten, though two days ago was Rose Ceremony where I saw my erstwhile Kindergartners enter in through the flower gate with nary a backward look (though some were nervous or self-conscious.) I went to COT in the afternoon, such a long day that I wondered if I would survive this year.

The first day of Kindergarten, I was there early and started the millet. It was a bit chaotic and not very reverent in mood, with parents zooming through the K to set up for their tea on the playground. JM was in the hall greeting, and at a certain point she came in with children on the round rug, doing a little fingergame, and I went out in the hall and helped Terry with nap bags. Finally we got most of the parents out of there.

Two parents stayed - Mitch with Leo, and Betsy with John. John is going to be a big challenge, a choleric boy with a loud voice. But i was interested that JM not only allowed Betsy to stay but also gave her instructions on how to be. I realized later that JM was using thistime as a way to start modelling behavior for Betsy.

Actually, it was a good thing she was there. She ended up doing all the dishes when i ended up caring for Sam who threw up and needed to go home.

Our rhythm is different this year. But later for that. I have to get ready. Getting up at %:30 am still doesn't give me enough time! By the way, Chris and I had four sleepers yesterday already!

1 comment:

Saints and Spinners said...

Today is my daughter's first day of school. While she may have some first day jitters, I really hope they don't involve throwing up!