Wednesday, August 31, 2005


Moon Haiku photograph by Michael Wood.



Yesterday I had several experiences of grace. Maybe I used up my quota for the week? No! Of course not. But I do want to mention the book I have started to read called Writing and Enjoying Haiku by Jane Reichhold. Of course, haiku as a form is not new to me or anyone probably, but I became excited about exploring it as a writing/meditation form at the Poetry Therapy Intensive in early August.

Sometimes I can write in my journal; but I don't get much enjoyment out of it. And I am dismal at writing poetry. But haiku!

Haiku act as doors to our past. Years after you have written a haiku, you can read it and mentally return to that one spot in the meadow where you saw the purple thistle glistening with dew, or heard the long curling cry of a bird on a summer morning.

No comments: