Thursday, September 01, 2005

Yesterday I was thinking about this little blog. My friend Alkelda the Gleeful had set it up for me, even naming it, with her spot-on ability to find the mot juste. (Does that have an "e" on the end of it????) But I had been wondering... why "Pipers" and not "Piper"? I sense there is a reason for it, but I cannot articulate it.

At any rate, I decided to go to Wind in the Willows and re-read that chapter . There I stood, in the Library where I work, and wept with both joy and longing.

This morning I awoke from a dream with a song running through my mind. This happens to me alot. This morning it was a hymn. #307 in the current Blue Mennonite hymnal.

Will you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.

I will hold the Christ-light for you in the nighttime of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.


Today is the 2nd anniversary of my mother's passing into New Life. I derive some comfort in thinking that my Mom will be quietly ministering to those who have newly passed over - from Iraq,the horrific bridge tragedy - and from New Orleans and the rest of the south, especially those who were neglected because they were poor (and maybe Black?) I am trying to walk the tightrope between being non-judgmental and open, but on the other hand, "speaking truth to power" (even if only on this little personal blog.)

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I think I originally recommended "Pipers" unconsciously because of the book by Jonathan Cott, Pipers at the Gates of Dawn, subtitled "The Wisdom of Children's Literature." Interestingly enough, Cott never discusses Wind in the Willows!

I talked with Cott a number of times at the library. He's a great guy. I was shocked to come across this book just now: On the Sea of Memory. How ironic to have written a book that takes its title from a chapter in a book dealing with memory loss (of the most divine nature), and then to lose a large part of one's memory later on.

Melangell said...

Thank you for this response, Alkelda. I went to your link about Cott's book "On the Sea of Memory." I saw there that he was a contributor to Parabola. I have lots of those journals and will look back over them to identify his articles.