Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Beauty, Clutter, Consciousness

Perhaps something new (for my project) has come out of my cleaning the bookcase on MLK day. It looks so different to me now - sparkling with new life. I touched each book, cleaned off the tops (and the sides, in some cases!) I read in some, and rearranged many, giving them new friends to talk to, exchange ideas with.
And I have a few new books, one by Gendler Notes on the need for Beauty and the other by O'Donahue Beauty: The Invisible Embrace, which have made me begin to think how to reshape my paper a bit. So far it has seemed pedestrian to me, and I want it to be beautiful! To give some sort of inspiration beyond what Linda Thomas has provided, not to outdo her, impossible, but to try to give another angle.
I pondering the role of penetrating clutter with consciousness (as in the bookcase) and how beauty can result, I have been thinking about how so many parents and other adults, when they first see a Waldorf kindergarten, think "how beautiful." But after one works there a while, I wonder how many of us see the room as beautiful? I know in our room, I see clutter and detrius and sheer messiness. And i also realize i can start in the corner where i work and begin to "penetrate it with consciousness."
I think one of the reasons Linda Thomas's workshops have been so inspiring is that she has cleaned off the lenses of our own inner eyes and we can see with new hope and appreciation what it is we do when we clean.

No comments: